So, the Diva and Hotdog came back from Grandma's house this weekend and things went pretty smoothly for a few days (which is rare - whenever they come home, they need a day or two to unwind and settle down into their routines again). I spoke too soon though -- last night (Tuesday night) it broke loose. I picked them up from childcare and they started physically fighting in the parking lot. After getting them into the car (finally), I suggested they were displaying behaviors of a visit from The SuperNanny (not our friend, rather, the one on TV). Didn't work. I had to stop to pick up Girl Scout Cookies on the way home and figured they would settle down in the car. Wrong. They continued fighting until the younger one stuck a DVD into the DVD player in the ceiling and it got stuck. It started making this horrible sound of a stuck DVD trying to eject (you know the one I mean). So the 8 year old comes out to tattle and then the 6 year old really went nuts. More fighting, this time in the driveway of the cookie mom. I finally get them (and the cookies) home and start to work on sorting cookies into orders. In short order, I had to send both kids to their rooms (still fighting). As hotdog got into his room he shouted from the other side "Don't you dare open my &%#@ door". Not being prepared to accept that, I decided it was time for him to learn what soap tasted like (a first for him). I didn't get any in his mouth (by design), just on his cheek and his lips. Nevertheless, he started sputtering and choking and screaming that he was dying. Then he took his clothes off and rolled around the floor - crying that he was choking and the soap was caught in his throat! Mind you, this is my good child - the one that usually settles down easily and cooperates! So, I finally had him settled down and then he wanted to help sort Girl Scout Cookies (naked). I let him, and in between managed to get dinner on the table and the garbage wrapped (it was garbage night). Near the end of the cookie sorting (and bagging/labeling) we found we were 4 boxes short (and miraculously, 4 extra of different kinds). You know what that means? Yep, we put some wrong cookies in some orders. So, we had to start at the beginning and recheck every order (115 boxes of orders). At this point I decided to take a break and see if I could stop the DVD from trying to eject, figuring it might wear down my battery and then I couldn't get to work in the morning. No such luck. So, I went back to the cookies and some more fighting (this time with me though - not the 8 year old sister). Now, the 6 year old wanted something else and started throwing a fit when I said no. Having enough of his unusual behavior I asked him "haven't you done enough damage tonight"? He kind of ignored me and settled down for a while. I had to call The Queen to see what cookies we delivered - she noted the stress in my voice and decided to come down to help. By the time she got there - the Diva and I had found the errors (in the last orders we checked) and had them packaged up. The Queen helped me load them into the car and then work on the DVD. We spent some time at it and got close, but no cigar.
Sigh.
Soon The Queen had to leave, but I felt calmer and ready to deal with the rest of the night. Out went the garbage. Then I unloaded the dishwasher and washed the dinner dishes. Then I got the 6 year old in the bath (which went smoothly for a change). Then we started in on the homework. Finally, it was time for bed and when I asked him to go to bed, the 6 year old said "OK, I'll go, I guess I've done enough damage tonight".
When they finally got into bed, The Queen sent the Cabana Boy down to see if he could help with the DVD player. He futzed with it a while - and then we decided just to take our chances. I finally went to sleep - exhausted and a little stressed.
The good news? When I got up - the car started and I was able to go to work. I think that's the good news - kind of hard to say - this was the last day for several thousand at my Company - so that had it's own stress associated with it. But, that's a different entry for sometime soon. Gotta go pick up the kids from church right now.
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I didn't actually send The Cabana Boy down. I passed out in my bed as soon as I got back home. That was just too much stress for me! I didn't even know he went down there until the next moring when he came home from work and was rambling about Miss Perfect and her lack of tools or something. I had to say, "What the heck are you talking about?" and he told me that he had gone down after picking Huggles up from the library. Dang but I did a good job training him didn't I?
Post a Comment